Skip to main content

Germany's medicine as it's best (or worst)



Before we left Pittsburgh, Andrei had occupation therapy where he worked a lot on his handwriting and other related services and he progressed really well but still had work to do.  His handwriting is pretty awful to begin with and it really matters here in Germany as the kids get older to have nice legible cursive.  The German pediatrician gave us a referral and told us about a center that should provide those services and after it took me forever to fill out tons of forms, we finally had an appointment back in August.  Two days before the scheduled appointment we got a phone call stating that the person we need to see is on sick leave until October and there is nobody else that we can talk to (apparently).  Ok, kind of pretty frustrated but I reschedule for October (keep in mind that I originally called them in the spring).  So we finally went and the first time, we met with the person and she gave us many more forms to fill out and told us to come back 4 weeks later while she reads over our American reports to see what kind of services that can match us up with.   We came back 4 weeks later (in November) and she is telling me that there is nothing they can do for Andrei and gives me another center to call!  A while back I summoned all my German knowledge and called this new center which send me a lot more paperwork to fill out and here we are nearly – another spring is here – and we still can’t get certain things in place.  The good news is that we kind of figured out some stuff on our own and we are currently working on Andrei’s handwriting ourselves nearly every day.  On the other hand, I’ve also realized that it’s kind of important to have your “i’s dotted and t’s crossed” when it comes to bureaucracy here; therefore, I am still trying to get an appointment for that center.  Maybe sometime before 2017?!?

Another little Anecdote dealing with medicine in Germany – all 3 boys have been sick last week with temperature going up to 40C (104F) – really high in my book!  Ilya was the first one so I took him to a doctor on Monday and was told that it’s just a virus, no medicine necessary besides ibuprofen to keep him comfortable.  On Wednesday, Anton got send home from kindergarten with temperature so I assumed it was the same thing.  However, Thursday morning he started complaining on his ear hurting.  Back to the doctor we go because I am thinking ear infection.  Here is where it gets interesting – doc looked at his ears, said they were both a bit red but at this point he still doesn’t think Anton needs antibiotics.  I am told to come back on Friday for a check up which I did and apparently the ears got better by themselves, without antibiotics.   Three times at pediatricians office in one week – I believe that might be a record for me.  Andrei thankfully had the shortest bout lasting only 3 days and the least miserable.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

School update

It's been almost exactly 2 months since the last time I wrote here.  Our summer has come and gone as well as 3 weeks of school have passed.  The life has been busy but I knew that since all the kids are in new schools and our schedules are completely different from last year.  We are still trying to figure stuff out but anyway ... Our house looked like that most of the summer  Night before school Anton has started 1st grade.  He goes to school for kids with hearing issues and from what I understood the kids in his class are all over the spectrum regarding their issues.  Anton does not have a problem with hearing but his brain does not process what he hears at normal rate and Anton's teacher knows how to work with him which has been good so far.  The school is a little bit further away but he gets picked up and dropped off right in front of our house and it's going good.  He leaves the house at 7:15 and comes home at 15:40 3 times a week and earlier on 2 other d

Random notes

Wrote this last week but never published :( My plan was to write about Anton and his school a bit. Or about how German language acquisition is (after being in Germany for 4 years).  However ... life!   Last week Andrei was home Tuesday and Wednesday because the teachers held parent-teacher conferences for those 2 days and kids had no school.  First time it's happening this way because in other schools meetings were always held either before or after classes.  After having him home for 2 days and meeting his classroom teacher, I learned pretty much nothing new - his grades are good but he needs to talk more in class.  That's what I got out of a 30 minute meeting.   Friday Anton was home because his school starts Carnival celebrations early.  Monday and Tuesday all the kids were home because again Carnival - Rose Monday and for no reason for Tuesday.  Anton's extended celebrations continued into Wednesday.  I am not a fan of Carnival and neither are the kids. All of

Grocery shopping

After living in Germany for 4 years and having German fridge and freezer for 3 of those years, I feel like my grocery shopping habits have changed and sometimes I have to wonder what would happen if we were to move back to the States.  Because German fridges and freezers are pretty small it was pretty necessary to go to the store at least once a week and often times more than once because one week worth of food for 5 people wouldn't fit.  Moreover, the freezer would not fit more than a box of pizza, fish sticks and 1 container of ice cream - freezing meats/chickens/... was not an option.    About a year ago we upgraded our kitchen and bought a new fridge and it comes with water and ice! Did I mention that nobody in Germany uses ice except my husband but he was and is super happy?!?   Anyway, there are 4 stores in our town - they are all pretty much next to each other.  One is a bio Whole Foods type of market (Tegut), we have two discount stores (Lidl and Aldi), and one re