Skip to main content

Venice, Italy

Between the months of April and October (more or less) we travel a lot and I don’t always have time to sit down and write about it despite the fact that I want to since I know we are going to forget things.  Traveling is both fun and tiring; but we know that one of the reasons we moved here is to see places that we would never be able to do otherwise.  Case in point – Chris had a business trip to Paris and I drove down with the boys on Friday night (after school) to spend the weekend.  I am thinking it’s not something we’d be able to do if we lived in the States.  

Having said that - our Italian vacation was amazing, and I don’t think I would do it justice in one little paragraph.  However, here are the highlights.  We wanted to hit all the major attractions – Venice, Florence, Rome, Pompeii, and Milan.  We also knew that we have 3 active boys who can only do churches, museums, and statues for so long.  Our solution was rather simple.  After each major city we went to the beach, so in turn our vacation was first day was in Austria where we visited Riddell glass factory (really awesome), Venice, beach day, 2 days in Florence, 3 days at the beach, 4 days in Rome, guess what comes next – yep, beach again! 

I really wanted to see Venice, I don’t know why but for some reason I always thought it would be a really cool city with all the gondolas and canals.  Certain people told me not to get my expectations up and I have to admit that Venice was not all that I imagined. Yes, canals and gondolas are everywhere and we even took a ride in one but the water is dirty!  Thankfully it wasn’t smelly but I hear that most of the time canals stink, and there is not much to do in town.  I am happy that I was prepared and read up all kinds of tips which include that fact that to get into the church there is a pretty massive line but if you check your bag around the corner from the entrance, you get to skip it.  Worked like magic.  We also wondered through the Duke Museum – the size of the rooms is massive and overwhelming but it was both home and the place where parliament took place.  



View from the top of the St. Marks Basilica

Gondola ride

Admiring the gondolas

At some point we knew that we needed food.  The ice scream on Piazza San Marco (main square) was 16 euros and I am having hard time imagining any ice cream worth that much money!  However, literally one block over is normal food with normal prices.  That was the beginning of our endless pizza and pasta Bolognese for the following 2 weeks.  So in the end I am glad we went to Venice but for me it was a place you visit once (at most twice) to check it off your bucket list.




After Venice we headed to our first Italian beach …

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

School update

It's been almost exactly 2 months since the last time I wrote here.  Our summer has come and gone as well as 3 weeks of school have passed.  The life has been busy but I knew that since all the kids are in new schools and our schedules are completely different from last year.  We are still trying to figure stuff out but anyway ... Our house looked like that most of the summer  Night before school Anton has started 1st grade.  He goes to school for kids with hearing issues and from what I understood the kids in his class are all over the spectrum regarding their issues.  Anton does not have a problem with hearing but his brain does not process what he hears at normal rate and Anton's teacher knows how to work with him which has been good so far.  The school is a little bit further away but he gets picked up and dropped off right in front of our house and it's going good.  He leaves the house at 7:15 and comes home at 15:40 3 times a week and earlier on 2 other d

Random notes

Wrote this last week but never published :( My plan was to write about Anton and his school a bit. Or about how German language acquisition is (after being in Germany for 4 years).  However ... life!   Last week Andrei was home Tuesday and Wednesday because the teachers held parent-teacher conferences for those 2 days and kids had no school.  First time it's happening this way because in other schools meetings were always held either before or after classes.  After having him home for 2 days and meeting his classroom teacher, I learned pretty much nothing new - his grades are good but he needs to talk more in class.  That's what I got out of a 30 minute meeting.   Friday Anton was home because his school starts Carnival celebrations early.  Monday and Tuesday all the kids were home because again Carnival - Rose Monday and for no reason for Tuesday.  Anton's extended celebrations continued into Wednesday.  I am not a fan of Carnival and neither are the kids. All of

Grocery shopping

After living in Germany for 4 years and having German fridge and freezer for 3 of those years, I feel like my grocery shopping habits have changed and sometimes I have to wonder what would happen if we were to move back to the States.  Because German fridges and freezers are pretty small it was pretty necessary to go to the store at least once a week and often times more than once because one week worth of food for 5 people wouldn't fit.  Moreover, the freezer would not fit more than a box of pizza, fish sticks and 1 container of ice cream - freezing meats/chickens/... was not an option.    About a year ago we upgraded our kitchen and bought a new fridge and it comes with water and ice! Did I mention that nobody in Germany uses ice except my husband but he was and is super happy?!?   Anyway, there are 4 stores in our town - they are all pretty much next to each other.  One is a bio Whole Foods type of market (Tegut), we have two discount stores (Lidl and Aldi), and one re